Kali Linux version 2.0 has arrived. According to Offensive Security, this is said to be the next generation of penetration testing operating systems and will be able to redefine penetration testing .
Kali Linux (successor of Backtrack Family), the King of all penetration testing operating systems, has been a market dominant for a long time. Kali Linux has become the De-Facto standard for penetration testing operating systems.
Kali Linux comes with lots of new features and updates and the wait is finally over!
New Features in Kali Linux
- Kali Linux 2.0 which is codenamed “Kali Sana” offers a redesigned user interface.
- Kali Linux 2.0 is now based on Debian Jessie and has a new 4.0 kernel. This brings much wider and improved support for hardware and wireless driver coverage and also supports a variety of desktop environments (gnome , Kde , xfce , mate , e17 , i3wm , lxde). Kali Linux 2.0 has moved to GNOME 3. The minimum ram requirement for full GNOME 3 has increased to 768 MB. The lightweight flavour comes with Xfce desktop environment .
- Offensive security has put up new VMware and VirtualBox Kali 2.0 images for those who want to try Kali 2.0 in virtual environment .
- Kali Linux has an improved set of wireless penetration testing tools.
- Maltego 3.6.1
- Metasploit 4.1.14
- Nmap 4.6984
- Aircrack 1.2rc2
- Burpsuite 22.214.171.124
- BeEf 4.6.1 Recon 4.6.0
- JTR 126.96.36.199 jumbo
- Zap 2.4.0
- Hydra 8.1
- BDF 3.0.5
This is not all! Kali 2.0 comes with a lots of new tools and updates. This is just the start of the list.
- Kali Linux has now added desktop notifications, so that you don’t miss anything.
- Metasploit Community/Pro package has been removed from Kali Linux 2.0 and now hosts opensource metasploit-framework package only (as per request of Rapid 7).
To Start Metasploit in Kali :
/etc/init.d/postgresql start # Start Postgresql Database
msfdb init # Initialize the metasploit framework .
You can upgrade from Kali Linux 1.0 to 2.0! Just edit the Source.list entries and and run dist-upgrade .
Upgrade to Kali Linux 2.0
cat << EOF > /etc/apt/sources.list
deb http://http.kali.org/kali sana main non-free contrib
deb http://security.kali.org/kali-security/ sana/updates main contrib non-free
apt-get dist-upgrade # get a coffee, or 10.
Kali Linux also offers a redesigned interface and multi-level menus and tools categories options .