Hello friends, welcome back to Hackingloops. Today we will learn top internet security tips to protect ourselves from Hackers, Online threats, Scams etc. Nowadays almost every individual has access to internet, but its ironical to say that only 4 out of 100 is aware about cyber security threats. So because of lack of knowledge about security, People becomes prey to Hackers. Today i will share Top 10 Internet Security Tips which will help you to protect yourself from Hackers.
Top 10 Internet Security Tips for Protection against Hackers, Online Frauds, Scams etc :
- Always install a good antivirus software and keep it up-to-date. Also install a good anti-spyware to keep spyware away from your computer. If you ask me, i prefer Norton 360.
- Always visit known and trusted websites. If you are about to visit an unknown website, ensure that you do not click on those untrusted links and banners. Always avoid freebie websites which offer pirated products like music, movies, software etc, specially avoid using torrent websites.
- Perform a virus scan on the files/email attachments that you download before executing them. Always avoid opening attachments in emails if they come from unknown source. Specially avoid lottery mails, make money mails and very important, never open links from emails, no matter who sends you because anyone can send spoof emails which appears to come from legitimate source.
- Regularly update your operating system and browser software. For a better security, it is recommended that you surf the Internet through the latest version of your browser program. Chrome, Safari and Firefox are extremely good and secured browsers.
- Never share your password (email, bank logins etc.) with anyone for any reason. Choose a strong password (A blend of alphanumeric+special symbols) and change it regularly, eg. every 1 months. Avoid using easy-to-guess passwords. (ex. date of birth, girl friend name, mobile no’s etc)
- Always type the URL of the website in your browser’s address bar to enter the login pages. Also always keep a watch on URL’s, as all phishing attacks happens using phished pages.
- Before you enter your password on any login page, ensure that you seehttps instead of http in your browser’s address bar. Example.https://mail.google.com instead of
http://mail.google.com. HTTPS protocol implements SSL (Secure Sockets Layer) and provide better security than a normal HTTP. For more information on HTTPS and SSL see Know More About Secure Sockets Layer (SSL).
- Beware of phishing emails! Do not respond to any email that request you to update your login details by clicking on a link in the body of the email. Such links can lead to Fake Login Pages (Spoofed Pages). For more information on phishing refer How to Identify and Avoid Phishing Scam. Also refer my other post on How to Protect an Email Account.
- Always hit the logout button to close your login session rather than abruptly terminating the browser window. Also, clear your web browser caches after every session to remove the temporary files stored in the memory and hard disk of your PC.
- Avoid (Stop) using any public computers or computers in the Internet cafes to access any sensitive/confidential information. Also, avoid such computers to log in to your email/bank accounts. On a public computer, there is every chance of spyware and malware infections to be present.
That’s all friends. Hope these top 10 internet security tips are useful for you. Keep Learning !! Keep Connected!!