How to Setup a VPN Connection:
1. Open the Windows Control Panel.
2. Open the Network Connections icon in the Control Panel. A list of existing dial-up and LAN connections will appear.
3. Then choose the ‘Create a new connection’ item from the left-hand side of the window. The Windows XP New Connection Wizard will appear on the screen.
4. First click Next to begin the wizard, then choose the ‘Connect to the network at my workplace’ item from the list and click Next.
5. On the Network Connection page of the wizard, choose the ‘Virtual Private Network connection’ option and click Next.
6. Enter a name for the new VPN connection in the ‘Company Name’ field and click Next. The name chosen need not match the name of an actual business.
7. Choose an option on the ‘Public Network’ screen and click Next. The default option, ‘Automatically dial this initial connection’ can be used if the VPN connection will always be initiated when the computer is not already connected to the Internet. Otherwise, choose the ‘Do not dial the initial connection’ option. This option requires that the public Internet connection be established first, before this new VPN connection will be initiated.
8. Enter the name or IP address of the VPN remote access server to connect to, and click Next. Company network administrators will provide this information.
9. Choose an option on the ‘Connection Availability’ screen and click Next. The default option, ‘My Use Only,’ ensures that Windows will make this new connection available only to the currently logged on user. Otherwise, choose the ‘Anyone’s use’ option.
10. Click Finish to complete the wizard. The new VPN connection information has been saved.
Important! In order to be able to set up a VPN connection, you need the host name and/or IP address of the VPN remote access server.