10 ways or tips to secure your online accounts and Computer – As there is a increasing number of online transactions and also use of social networking sites, hackers tend to get all the credentials of bank accounts or any other confidential info, so here are the tips which can help a user secure against unauthorized access from hackers.
Here it goes, 10 ways to secure your online accounts and Computer :-
- Removal of the pre-installed apps: The pre-installed apps and software really seem to be very dangerous. Most of the times it is just a bloatware, unless user really has some use of all these apps, hence getting rid of this definitely safeguards the computer against any security threat. Further it is better to get rid of any pseudo antiviruses accompanied with the new computer.
- Choosing a secured web browser : Most of the malicious malware comes through the web browser. Setting the right web browser is essential because the correct web browser can help user to safeguard against all the malwares and also help user to use their computer to the best. Further, Google Chrome is one of the best web browsers which provides security via Sandbox feature. The user can use the Mozilla Firefox extensions also if any additional features required. The user needs to check the features before using any browser.
- Use a strong password for the user account: Setting a strong password is the key for the security of the PC as well as the online accounts. Users must remember certain important points while choosing a password:
First of all it should be minimum of 8 characters, the longer the better.
It should be a combination of lower and upper cases of alphabets.
Adding numbers, punctuation and symbols will further make the password complicated.
Never keep the same password for different accounts.
- Opting for Virtual Private Networking: Enabling the Hotspot Shield VPN helps user to protect their privacy, secure their internet, get protection against malware, it also enables public Wi-Fi security so any malicious intruders on the same Wi-Fi network cannot access user’s data. This is a free service. Further, OpenDNS services can further add to the browser security from various other malicious sites. The only drawback here is that the internet speed might be slowed down.
- Setting up 2F Authentication for online account: Here, user needs to use their password for first step of log in and then the account would send a pin number or code to a secured and trusted device like user’s smartphone. This authentication is one of the best security for all the social network sites and a must for all online accounts.
- Protection from the “Phishing Scams”: Online identity theft wherein users give their personal details on illegitimate websites which is then used for various frauds is known as Phishing. Some of the tips to safeguard aginst Phishing attacks are listed below:
Guard against spam: Users need to be cautious of spam emails sent by unrecognized users that ask for online transaction or other confidential details.
Always check for “https” rather than “http” during any online transaction.
Do not give any personal details on phone call. Never click on links or download files or open attachments in emails from unknown sender, even if has it has been sent from some known sender scan the attachment before opening it.
Never enter any personal information on any pop-up screen.
Regularly check for bank transactions or credit card statement by which user can recognize any unknown transaction ever done.
Install a good anti-virus and anti-spyware which protects against malwares and phishing pages.
- Ensuring a strong anti virus software: Users should install a good Anti-virus, Anti spyware software and Firewall software for ensuring security of their computer and online accounts.
Antivirus software: Users would need to check if their anti virus software provides real time scanning or is it on demand. Further a regular update of the anti virus software can help user to keep their computer away from all the modern malware. Hence a strong anti-virus is a must for all computer users.
The Antispyware software that plays a role in removing the unwanted advertising installations from the computer.
Firewall Software protects the computer from any kind of external malwares and any penetration to user’s network with the aim of getting personal information of the user.
- Add “HTTPS Everywhere” plugin for all the web browsers: Users can secure their web browser if they use the “HTTPS Everywhere extensions” for web browsers like Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome etc.
- Anonymous browsing: TOR is a free software and open source system which enables users’ for anonymous browsing. The TOR software shuffles user’s identity due to which any hacker or intelligence agency cannot read user’s browsing history. So with TOR user can ensure their browser security and privacy.
• Ensuring physical security of the PC: Users can setup the BIOS password and this will ensure that the unauthorized use of the computer is prevented. BIOS is a program that controls the computer’s initial booting cycle as well as the hardware initialization. Remembering the BIOS password by the user is essential because if user forgets the password then it is not possible to boot the computer and it can be reset only with help of the vendor.
Keep visiting :)